We all know that the holidays can be a wonderful time for celebration but we often do not look forward to the cleaning that must accompany all the festivities. We often stock up our refrigerators full of delicious and sticky treats which can leave residue or unsightly stains. What better way to clean up all that holiday gunk than with a natural cleaner and as a team in the same festival spirit?
If you have children, it is great practice to involve them. Make it fun by playing some music and if you are up for it and find that you can’t stop after cleaning the refrigerator, shine the love on other surfaces and areas of the house using the same home-made formula. Cleaning with your children after all the festivities is a great way to bond with them while teaching them empathy, responsibility, respect for their space and giving them a natural sense of belonging that comes from cleaning a space. In any case, cleaning up with others can be something to look forward to and not a headache to try to avoid. It is also a great way to energetically, metaphorically and mentally transition from 2014 to 2015. See this article by our friends at Hammer and Mop for tips on cleaning with kids.
- To conserve power while cleaning, turn the refrigerator off or the temperature all the way up.
- Fill a spray bottle with No-Rinse Green Clean (recipe below).
- Working from the top of the fridge to the bottom, remove all the food from one shelf at a time. Discard items that are spoiled or past their expiration dates. Wipe down the rest of the food containers using No-Rinse Green Clean and a clean cloth. Children will love helping to take out food items and even helping out with some wiping.
- Remove the refrigerator shelf unit and wash in a sink filled with hot water and a few tablespoons of castile soap or dish soap and a cup of white distilled vinegar. Rinse and set aside to dry.
- While the shelf is out, spray the area inside of the fridge with No-Rinse Green Clean and wipe with a clean dry cloth.
- Replace the shelf and the food and get your children to be part of re-arranging the fridge. Then proceed downward through the rest of the refrigerator compartments. Before you replace the last shelf or drawer, clean the fridge floor.
- Don’t forget to set the refrigerator’s temperature to normal when you’ve finished!
- When all the cleaning is complete, especially if you cleaned other areas like underneath the kitchen sink, counter tops, etc give yourselves a treat.
Keep an open box of baking soda in your refrigerator to keep smells at bay. When you change the box, get double duty from the old one by pouring it into the kitchen sink. Follow it with hot water to leave the drains clean and fresh.
No-Rinse Green Clean
Cuts grease, disinfects and leaves a clean, natural scent—without harsh chemicals.
1 cup white distilled vinegar
2 cups hot water
5 to 10 drops lavender essential oil
Mix all ingredients together and stir or shake thoroughly.